Yi Zhang.
To be honest, I didn't have the best first impression of you. With a seemingly cocky attitude written all over your face in every chess tournament I met you in. That swagger of yours however, turned out to be nothing but a facade, as you eventually revealed yourself to be a bubbly, outspoken, fun-filled bundle of joy.
I'll never forget the times we spent together along with the CLHS team at National Age Group. Sitting on the bus making a nuisance out of ourselves. The times spent in hotel rooms playing flying chess all night. The laughter that ensued. The jokes we shared. In fact, it's somewhat sad to realise that got to know each other by playing the wonderful game of chess. Upon abandoning the chess team to Singapore, we rarely kept in touch. Apart from the time I came back, and upon seeing me, your first remark was to comment on my slightly inflated belly, which sadly still remains.
And since then, our friendship has been somewhat distant, though I remember last seeing you yet again at another chess tournament last year, the very same month last year, when tragedy struck the family, as it has yet again.
I'm so sorry I never got to know you better, a lesson I've learnt, to try never to neglect lost friendships - a promise I hope I fulfill. But alas, you're in a better place now.
So Rest In Peace, Goh Yi Zhang (1993-2010). For you will forever be in my heart.

0 comments:
Post a Comment